In the modern era where more than half of our daily agenda depends on electricity and power, we often bypass the remote details. Surely we listen to music, enjoy live concerts and hear recorded music. Often we complain aboutthe quality of sound and the voice. Well, a lot has to do with all cables we use.
Types of cables
There are two types of cables-
- Balanced cables- These are expensive compared to unbalanced ones. They are connected to balanced devices,Moreover; they are used for long distance audio application.
- Unbalanced Cables- these are cheap. However susceptible to noise over along Hence, are used for short distance application.
These are balanced cables. Musicians depend on good quality XLR cables and connect them to various microphones. They help in transmitting sound over adistance without allowing any unnecessary noise interference. Thus purchasing good quality cables become necessary.
XLR cables prove useful for both professional recording or live performances. Long distance audio application is often interrupted by electromagnetic force and other interferences. XLR cables deliver balanced signals over the music consoles thus preventing unwanted noise.It allows preservation of original voice even along long distances.
Characteristics of XLR cables
- They are balanced cables.
- They have circular connectors with three pins- Positive, Negative and Ground pin.
- They depend on a balanced device. Thus connecting the cables to the non-balanced device can cause disruption.
- They deliver three signals accordingly, positive, negative and ground signals.
- They have shielding that determines its flexibility. Usually, copper shielding provides the best flexibility.
- A lot depends on the connectors. A decent connector and a proper shielding determine the efficiency of a good cable.
Why do you need XLR cables?
When professionals record their voice or perform live, sound quality is one of the major factors. Thus relying on the good quality sound system and electrical equipment becomes a necessity.
Another major factor is distance. Often, more the distance, lesser is the quality of sound one experiences. It is natural for a noise that once gets somehowinputted will only amplify over the distance. XLR cables help in solving this issue.
If we see the following points, we can understand why we need of XLR and its significance in our daily life-
- The balanced signal delivery helps in delivering good quality final audio signal.
- It helps in preserving the original sound quality
- It is useful in various fields ranging from professional live performances to recording sessions.
- They are useful in connecting several microphones
- They help in delivering line level signals and microphone signals
- They, therefore, help in blocking intervention while transmitting the sound.
- They are one of the best mediums to regulate and control noise pollution.
Looking for a good quality cable regarding your budget is not rocket science. However, before investing in your purchase, a detailed cost-benefit analysis is a prudent way. Choosing the right cables can help in your long-term investment. Good luck buying the best for the best!